Blog license poll : results
Wednesday 27 October 2010 6:59:59 pm
The survey conducted in the last weeks resulted in establishing clear licensing rules on community blogs, on this portal. Read on.
Here are the aggregated results of the survey :
1. Should each author be proposed to pick the license he prefers for every of his blog post ?
2. If yes, what are the licenses an author should be able to choose from ? [multiple choice]
3. If you chose one of the CC licenses above, please precise which one.
4. Which license should be the default license ?
5. If you chose one of the CC licenses above, please precise which one
6. You may have additional remarks
- "No remarks, that's a very good initiative !"
- "Ideally, one could choose the license for each post. Thanks for this poll!"
- "By making us work to choose anything but FDL, you are in effect proposing the FDL. Which is fine. Maybe all this licensing is necessary and beneficial. It seems generally a waste of time. Here is to you, the lawyers, who cannot survive without such malarkey."
- "A viral license as a default one is preferable. It disallow to enclose the documentation, and therefor, help to spread out informations about ezpublish to a broader audience."
The conclusions of this seem to be :
- A user should be able to pick a license for each of this posts
- The proposed licences should be GNU FDL and all CCs
- The default license, if the author omits specifying it, should be CC by-sa ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0 )
Waiting for an all-in-one license-handling datatype to be added to the "Blog post" content class, guidelines on how to apply a license to one's blog posts are described here : http://share.ez.no/about/etiquette-blogging-and-usage-guidelines#blog-licenses
Thanks for having been part of the survey, this helped us clarify the terms on blogging on the eZ Community portal. I am delighted to see that this platform is regularly used by many of you to communicate with the rest of the community. I think this is a channel of choice to share, back and forth, on all topics around eZ Publish.
Happy blogging, and happy licensing !