eZ Community » Forums » Discussions » Dear 42,405 users: Please Help!
expandshrink

Wednesday 11 July 2012 11:36:18 am - 27 replies

» Read full blog post

Introduction

I am writing this blog as an expreiment and need the assistance of every eZ Community member to assist me.  Please read on to the full article to see how you can help.

Wednesday 11 July 2012 12:28:39 pm

Thanks David!

Wednesday 11 July 2012 12:57:25 pm

> Please just post a comment below to let me know you have a pulse.

-----^-----^------^----
(beep - beep - beep)

Wednesday 11 July 2012 1:16:42 pm

tks for your commitment happy.gif Emoticon

Wednesday 11 July 2012 1:18:10 pm

Pulse !
Nice initiative David happy.gif Emoticon

Wednesday 11 July 2012 1:51:11 pm

Hi David,

I've been reading the discussion about eZ/Symfony with much interest. As a matter of general principle I think that the move is good, but I have lots of questions about what this will mean practically.

I'd like to see some blog posts from the eZ crew detailing exactly what is 'up for grabs' with this change.

There's a lot of stuff in eZ which looks like legacy garbage: the design tab, the compromises with the ini files being sort of editable via the admin interface, bits of functionality like the events calendar pushed out into design extensions etc etc.

What I'd like to see is for this to be used as an opportunity to rethink a lot of this stuff, and fix it. I don't mind having to learn new stuff if it means getting a system which works better.

I'd be interested to read what other developers think are the bits of the current eZ which they consider essential, and which bits could be improved - or dumped.

Like many of us out here I read the forums all the time, but don't contribute that often unless I'm actually in the middle of a project, and in 'the space'. I'm not paid a salary to develop eZ, just a freelancer who uses it when most appropriate.

Wednesday 11 July 2012 3:35:26 pm

Quote from paul bolger :

I'd like to see some blog posts from the eZ crew detailing exactly what is 'up for grabs' with this change.

Thanks for the reply and the comment.  Yes, we are also curious about what is 'up for grabs' in this as well, but I think the whole process is a bit early on for the dev team (even earlier than they realize in many ways).  But the changes are interesting and varied - just hard to sometimes see the idea of the final product.  Yesterday, there was a comment that perhaps in the future ezpage (ezflow) would be built into eZP5 as opposed to a separate extension.  So, cherrypicking the best of eZP4 default extensions and building them into the new eZP5 kernel is a nice/interesting idea. But it would be helpful to have more of a roadmap of features like that. Having said that, I am unsure how the dev team has time to code, since they have (recently) been spending large amounts of time on communication - not complete - but some communication all the same.

We are also finding it difficult how to 'sell' the idea of eZP5 to existing clients.  Where do we begin?  The 'features' listed are all development wins in the long-term, but nothing that can be easily communicated to a client as a rationale for a development budget to migrate.

There's a lot of stuff in eZ which looks like legacy garbage: the design tab, the compromises with the ini files being sort of editable via the admin interface, bits of functionality like the events calendar pushed out into design extensions etc etc.

Yup.. That's why we created the stripped down interface: Multitasking One. Just editing - forget about all of the scary stuff under the Setup tab, etc.  As to keep this from becoming an advertising piece, I wont go into mor detail - my signature has the relevant info happy.gif Emoticon

Thanks for the reply and feedback - good to know there is yet another soul there happy.gif Emoticon

Wednesday 11 July 2012 3:44:24 pm

I read every article with the utmost interest and they are very important to me! Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Patrizio

Wednesday 11 July 2012 5:15:24 pm

It's alive!

Wednesday 11 July 2012 6:13:59 pm

Hi David,

I support your experiment, probably because I did similar action on twitter and G+, but the result you get would be pretty of the mark. Probably as much as the 42k is of the mark happy.gif Emoticon Reasons would be several: 

• there are more levels of activity, but you are asking the "write" activity as you can't measure "read"
  • people are lazy by default
  • people are on vacation (yes, your timing is bad)

There are surely more reason, but main point is that the number we get will not be quite good.

I would say that the only way to show the community activity is to transparently show the statistics of:

- how many people read/write in some period of time (last month, last year, etc) on the community site
- how many people read/write in some period of time (last month, last year, etc) on the issues site
- how many people mentioned ezpublish on twitter, facebook, g+, etc in some period of time

To name a few happy.gif Emoticon

In that way we could end up with some numbers like:

1. passive users count,
  2. active users count,
  3. super active users count, etc

Now that would be interesting....

Wednesday 11 July 2012 11:16:09 pm

Hi David,

I read every eZ5 post and comment, I browse for new posts in forum, repositories in github, so I could say I'm active user but I write something few and far between. Not every user is active by writing posts and comments.

Yes, I know, passivity does not help the community...

Referring to eZ5 as developer I'm very interested, however there are some problematic issues like the old modules and inflexible structures. Because I still have much to learn, rather I look at these changes with interest.

As a non-entrepreneur I don't feel so many concerns about the BC.

Cheers

Thursday 12 July 2012 2:41:29 pm

In on first page!

Thursday 12 July 2012 2:49:28 pm

Given the location where eZ publish started, a great portion of its users will not post for the sake of posting, that doesn't mean a great portion of that portion will not read this. But yes, in an optimistic scenario, only 4k people of that 42k do read the community stuff on a monthly basis.

But this is just my opinion, I don't have any data. All I know is that http://mysitecost.com/ez.no estimates 23k unique users per day, how many of them are real eZ publish users/developers I don't know.

Modified on Thursday 12 July 2012 2:57:32 pm by Thiago Campos Viana

Thursday 12 July 2012 4:09:27 pm

PULSE PULSE !!

Thanks for your initiative !

Friday 13 July 2012 8:18:39 am

Pulse tick! From a rather passive community member, but still being in the loop.

Friday 13 July 2012 3:03:35 pm

*PULSE*

Friday 13 July 2012 4:00:14 pm

Hi!

Monday 16 July 2012 1:01:39 pm

pulse! 

Tuesday 17 July 2012 12:32:27 pm

*Cough*

Sebastiaan's very insightful & recent post on the size/breadth/depth of the eZ Community.  I'd also be interested to see the GA stats for share.ez.no, if these are up for grabs.

Wednesday 18 July 2012 10:12:19 am

Pulse

Wednesday 18 July 2012 10:22:28 am

Alive!

expandshrink

You must be logged in to post messages in this topic!

36 542 Users on board!

Forums menu

Proudly Developed with from