eZ Community » Forums » Discussions » Skipping 2012.7, eZ Publish Community...
expandshrink

Monday 03 September 2012 11:06:55 pm - 20 replies

» Read full blog post

Introduction

Lots of pull-requests were contributed this time, guys: THANK YOU, and keep-up, I love them :)
Also, readon to know why 2012.7 has mysteriously not started existing. 

Thursday 06 September 2012 10:59:06 am

Hello,

I am not sure if it is new to this version as I didn't check the last few ones, but now the site registration step in the install seems to be mandatory.
What is the motivation behind this change?

As a community edition user, I feel it quite tedious to "register" for every install I do, secondly it seems the information gathered is send to eZ Systems (registerezsite@ez.no).

I can understand that eZ Systems want to expand marketing opportunities, but wasn't the point of separating enterprise edition and community edition to put a clear line between the 2 entities?

For people that don't want to send private data, commenting out the line 216 of kernel/setup/steps/ezstep_registration.php should do the trick.

Thursday 06 September 2012 3:59:48 pm

I'd just like to point out that you're not the only one:

http://share.ez.no/forums/discussions/registration-should-be-optional

Modified on Thursday 06 September 2012 4:16:52 pm by Steven E Bailey

Thursday 06 September 2012 4:09:24 pm

The reply has been removed because of violation of forum rules.

Thursday 06 September 2012 8:34:57 pm

Hi Eric, and Steven,

Nicolas is away, at the eZ Summercamp event. So are a few other community project board members. I'll make sure to bring this topic to the attention of the board, and as soon as we have been able to discuss it briefly, I/We will provide feedback here.

Regards, Robin

Wednesday 12 September 2012 6:53:40 pm

Hi Eric, Steven,

The initial motivation behind this change (which dates back to 2012.4) is to be able to better service and accompany the Community members starting or continuing their journey within the eZ Community by installing the software. While, since registration was made mandatory, we did not find the time to plug-in this type of follow-up after registration, that remains the main idea:

• Drop a note (through email for instance) to the person who just installed, inviting to stop-by on share.ez.no if having questions, doubts, or willing to learn about eZ Publish. It matters to show, at every touch-point with the eZ Community (including after an installation experience), that we do care and that people are welcome,
  • Propose next steps in their journey, guiding their evolution. An example is to point to interesting tutorials,
  • Invite to connect on other channels like social media, and have a look on the ways to contribute back code/features/ideas to the community.

I am really open to discuss this practice, the initial idea behind which was to provide better guidance to community members (although, as mentioned above, the roll-out of this idea has not been completed yet).

Looking forward to hearing your feedback on this,
Cheers, 

Wednesday 12 September 2012 7:02:58 pm

My vote goes for making the registration optional. Having it mandatory can repel some newbie eZ Publish users, and it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of openess.

Another related idea... When a user register after setting up eZ, it can be given the option to automatically register on share.ez.no using the data he already entered. That would be a usefull feature for eZP newbies.

Friday 14 September 2012 9:41:09 am

Registration should be optional, because:

1) Requiring registration for installation of an open source system is counter-productive and will cause many new users to either cancel the installation or enter bogus data. Offering registration but making it optional is fine.

2) Experienced eZ developers find forced registration an unnecessary inconvenience when setting up new instances, and will almost certainly enter bogus data.

Either way, it harms eZ more than it helps.

Instead I suggest supplying more information on how to learn more and engage in the community the post-installation page, such as:

• Link to official documentation
  • Link to share.ez.no and its user registration page
  • Links to popular eZ resources (eZPedia, Planet eZ Publish...)
  • Invitations to social media channes
  • And more.

Friday 14 September 2012 10:29:26 am

+1 from me making registration optional, i also think making registration mandatory is counter-productive

Wednesday 19 September 2012 9:56:20 am

I totally agree with Daniel for a post installation page with all the information/links.

Another possibility would be to add a "Development & troubleshooting" dashboard panel to the backoffice providing links to the community, documentation, bugtracker github and so on. That could help newcomers to discover and participate to the ecosystem.

Tuesday 09 October 2012 12:18:24 pm

Hi guys, 

Thanks for the good input.

The 2012.9 release will not bring this yet, but we are aiming at the next one for this. The last step of the installation wizard will be an opt-in step, displaying additional information regarding how to get involved in the eZ Community. Marko's idea of having an mandatory registration to share.ez.no sounds like a good idea to me. Consequently, all already registered people should be able to use their already existing share.ez.no account to 1-click-fill-out the form information, if they feel like it.

The background idea behind this registration screen is to hand-hold new community members into learning eZ Publish and getting acquainted with our Community. We all know that learning eZ Publish benefits from external assistance, hence this initial, not 100% well-done-yet, registration screen.

Cheers and sorry for the late reply on this one.

PS : 2012.9, the first eZ Publish 5 is soon available under http://share.ez.no/download

Tuesday 09 October 2012 12:21:01 pm

PS2: in 2012.9, I already added-in a "What's happening in the eZ Community" dashboard block, with links to social media information.

Wednesday 31 July 2013 7:30:23 pm

Stumbling upon this post after trying a brand new eZ Publish 5 install after not having touched eZ for a while.I also believe that making the registration mandatory is an unfortunate, shortsighted decision. Will therefore just fill in some bogus data.

Wednesday 31 July 2013 8:19:58 pm

Quote from Kristof Coomans :

Stumbling upon this post after trying a brand new eZ Publish 5 install after not having touched eZ for a while.I also believe that making the registration mandatory is an unfortunate, shortsighted decision. Will therefore just fill in some bogus data.

Hi Kristof, 

We are late on this one, but as mentioned above, we still want to make this optional. However, we do think that registering as community member should be heavily encouraged. 

Thoughts in this new one?
Cheers, 

Wednesday 31 July 2013 11:34:13 pm

Everyone who really has the history in these here parts already knows the truth in the granite.

With the pace that has been proven in movement ...

The legacy kernel will be removed from eZ Publish before these jokers get around to making the site registration step from the setup wizard optional. Period.

FAKE FORM DATA RULES THE DAY in the annoyed eZ Community! We do what we can just to get through the day. I don't expect I will ever register my site to inform a competitor (ezsystems) of my latest client's private project website. duh ...

PS. Nice to hear from you again Kristof. Your still my hero! (Blush)

//kracker
THEME: K-FLAY - Rawks ...
Mirror: https://soundcloud.com/kflay/k-flay-rawks 

Thursday 01 August 2013 5:51:39 pm

Quote from // kracker :

[...]

in the annoyed eZ Community! 

[...]

Hi //kracker

I am genuinely interested in knowing more about this statement!

Quote from // kracker :

I don't expect I will ever register my site to inform a competitor (ezsystems) of my latest client's private project website. duh ...

I do hope that eZ Systems is not considered as a competitor as much as I can read it here, but rather an enabler of the eZ Ecosystem, aside the entire partner network, and the whole eZ Community. 

The intent behind this form was to stimulate registration to the eZ Community, and subsequently its growth, vital to the eZ Ecosystem's health, at large. The way it was realized is, I agree with you guys, not optimal, and we are looking at improving this in order to achieve the initial goal: expansion of our Community.

Taking a few steps back now: this intent of community growth is shared and owned by all of us in the eZ Community, and certainly not only eZ Systems. In other words, we are all responsible for making it happen, for spreading the word, for sharing feedback openly (and constructively), for contributing to the piece of Software we are building together.

I hope this clarifies a bit,
Thanks for participating //kracker! 

Modified on Thursday 01 August 2013 5:52:19 pm by Nicolas Pastorino

Thursday 01 August 2013 6:08:40 pm

Quote from Nicolas Pastorino :
Quote from // kracker :

[...]

in the annoyed eZ Community! 

[...]

Hi //kracker

I am genuinely interested in knowing more about this statement!

Actually, the full statement is:

FAKE FORM DATA RULES THE DAY in the annoyed eZ Community! 

Nicolas, you missed the most important part of it.

Here are some of my toughts about it...

Long term eZP developers and memebers of eZ Community do much more eZP installations than the newcommers. Sometimes an experienced eZP developers does several new eZP installations per week. So for them (me included) filling this data over and over again can really be annoying.

And so you have a bunch of longterm eZ Community members that have to deal with this annoyance over and over again, against the newcommers that fill it maybe once a month. Try to figure out the balance of dissatisfaction and benefits form this one...

Furthermore, if the goal of this registration form is to expand the eZ Community, then you have done it completely wrong. Here are some key points to illustrate it:

• the newcommer only fills the form but it doesn't automatically become member of share.ez.no.
  • there is no call to action on this form, no link to share.ez.no, no "Join the eZ publish community" invite
  • there are no explanations of the benefits in joining the eZ Community

In my opinion, the way this registration form is done, it brings more damage than benefits.

Thursday 01 August 2013 6:20:42 pm

Quote from Mavko Žmak - Žmale :

Furthermore, if the goal of this registration form is to expand the eZ Community, then you have done it completely wrong. Here are some key points to illustrate it:

• the newcommer only fills the form but it doesn't automatically become member of share.ez.no.
  • there is no call to action on this form, no link to share.ez.no, no "Join the eZ publish community" invite
  • there are no explanations of the benefits in joining the eZ Community

In my opinion, the way this registration form is done, it brings more damage than benefits.

Hi Mavko, 

Your points #2 and #3 are exactly the ones we had in mind to solve #1. It could look like a simple "Register | Sign-in" choice-block, instead of the current form. This would possibly solve the tediousness brought about for long-distance members who install frequently...wouldn't it?

Cheers,

Modified on Thursday 01 August 2013 6:22:12 pm by Nicolas Pastorino

Thursday 01 August 2013 8:54:37 pm

Yes! Please change the form to being optional and quickly please!

Think ahead: of the hundreds of us who re-run setup regularly as developers (already community members) make this all optional since it makes no sense for us to re-register every time we run setup wizard!

Cheers,
Heath 

Monday 05 August 2013 6:37:16 pm

Nicolas, it looks like you actually agree with our arguments. Would you be accepting a pull request making the registration step optional again? I'd be happy to contribute this.

Saturday 17 May 2014 8:49:19 pm

Hello,

Worth noting that the site registration step is now gone with this pull request (now merged)

https://github.com/ezsystems/ezpublish-legacy/pull/948

Cheers,
Heath

expandshrink

You must be logged in to post messages in this topic!

36 542 Users on board!

Forums menu

Proudly Developed with from